Monday, May 02, 2011

Bin Laden is Dead - How Should We Then Live

I will never forget the morning of September 11th 2001. As I prepared for work my wife called me into the other room because the news was reporting that a plane had struck one of the trade towers in NYC. I was incredulous as to how a pilot could make that kind of mistake. Within a few minutes, when the other tower was struck, I instantly realized that something sinister was occurring. I pealed myself away from the television and drove to work. When I arrived at the office the monitors were lit up with the CNN news feed. I walked into the office in time to watch the first tower fall – I was sick – I will never forget the horror, the anger, and the dismay at what was occurring. The other tower fell, thousands died, and tens of thousands lost loved ones. America engaged in a war which has claimed additional lives of both soldiers and civilians. Think about the number of deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. The estimates vary greatly, but the most conservative numbers run at nearly 250,000 (probably more). Two-hundred, Fifty Thousand! The repercussive, exponential pain of a single action! The mind behind this act was Osama Bin Laden.

I love my country and never want to relive the events of 9/11. So, I hope my government continues to exercise its right and a responsibility to protect its citizens against attack. My hope is that we will continue to look for less violent ways to accomplish this (I write this with the full understanding that violent men often only accept violent ends). I am an American and I love my country, but I am first a Christian and a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven. It is to those who are first a part of this kingdom that I address the rest of this post.

I fully understand the chest thumping victory cries of those who rallied at the White House and in NYC at the towers site last evening and this morning, but this is the response of people whose hope lies in a strong national presence; people who need proof that America is the world’s only ‘super-power’. Again, I understand hurting families and the need for justice and closure, but as Christians we recognize that justice will never be fully served in this life and will rarely, if ever, be administered properly by other broken, fallen people. Our hope, however, is in Jesus Christ, who has been exalted above all the powers and authorities of the earth (Ephesians 1) and has called us to join him in his kingdom as ambassadors of peace and reconciliation. In Ephesians 3.10-11 it says, “His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the powers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.” The church is the visible representation of what God purposes to do for all humanity.

The church in the first century was having trouble integrating Jews and Gentiles within the same congregations, but this reconciliation was called for by its leaders so that tangible evidence that Jesus Christ had taken his throne could be seen and that “all things in heaven and earth” were being reconciled to him. The church today must gain a vision of the Kingdom of God, a kingdom of peace and reconciliation, which is both active now and will be more completely experienced in the future. The church must stand at a distance and distinct from the state in which it resides or it will never be able to call that state or its people to something better and higher. The church and its members in particular must reflect the peace of the world that is to come. The future Kingdom of God will be utopian in nature. In contrast to other utopian attempts where power and force are used as the primary tools of construction; God’s kingdom is constructed through self-sacrifice and meekness. A triumphal, pro-American faith only subjugates the Kingdom of God and essentially marginalizes the church. (I say the church is marginalized when it ties its destiny to that of its host state.)

As Christians, we believe that everything that defaces, distorts, damages, or spoils another person is evil. What Osama Bin Laden and his followers have done, and will no doubt continue to do, are evil and should be resisted. I doubt, however, that violent actions will ever beget peace. As Christians we should recognize that more than most. The Pax Romana was only peace to those who quietly subjugated themselves to the powers that were – Jesus found out that Roman Peace came at the end of a scourging whip and the top of a crucifixion stake. This is not how the Kingdom of God will create peace, however. NT Wright said, “revenge is keeping evil in circulation”. Can kingdom-peace be generated from violence? Or, will it come as we exemplify the character of God in our communities – ever expanding concentric circles of peaceful, integrated communities – not returning evil for evil, but blessings for cursing. Ezekiel 33:11 says, Say to them, “As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die?” Whenever wicked, evil people perish it should not be a day of rejoicing, but recognition of how far we are from accomplishing the commission our king has called us to.

God bless America, God bless the World.

2 comments:

Bob and Betsy said...

My hope does NOT lie in a strong national presence nor do I need proof that America is the world's only super power. My hope lies in the Lord Jesus Christ and I am so thankful that America is a country founded on the rule of law (shaped by the rule of God..) as opposed to the whim of man.Rom. 13:3-5 states, "For civil authorities are not a terror to people of good conduct, but to those of bad behavior. Would you have no dread of him who is in authority? Then do what is right and you will receive his approval and commendation.For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong,you should dread him and be afraid for he does not bear and wear the sword for nothing.He is God's servant to execute His wrath, punishment and vengeance on the wrongdoer. Therefore,one must be subject, not only to avoid God's wrath, but also as a matter of principle and for the sake of conscience." The OT, too, is rife with examples of the righteous rejoicing after seeing God's justice being carried out. Though God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, preferring mercy to judgement...judgement is NOT nullified. Osama bin Laden was not a cave-dwelling ignoramous who had never known anything but the rhetoric of other cave dwellers. He grew up in a wealthy home, was educated in western thought and, thereby,had every opportunity to turn from the wickedness of his ways. Yet he CHOSE the path that he took, masterminded the Taliban, hated Christians, hated God, hated Israel, and devoted his life to the systematic destruction of all of the above. I will rejoice in God's justice in the land of the living and I will teach others why I rejoice. I will not be ashamed of God's justice.

RSM said...

Thanks for your comments, Bob. I wasn't sure anyone ever read.

Anyway, it's hard to qualify every statement in a post like this, but I thought I did when I wrote, "So, I hope my government continues to exercise its right and a responsibility to protect its citizens against attack". I also laid the blame, as you do, for the attacks on America, firmly on Bin Laden's shoulders and recognize it as punishable evil. Again, I recognize the divine ordination of the nations, including America.

Thank you for your comments. I'll review Romans 13 and give a fuller response someday.